Monday, September 28, 2026

The MATTen Curse

If you have any knowledge of video games at all or have heard of the Madden NFL game, you have heard there is something called the "Madden Curse." This is when a cover athlete on the game will get hurt the season they are on the cover of the game.

I have come to realize I have my own version of this curse when it comes to buying cards.

This summer after looking how crazy card values have gone, I told myself, why not grab some cheap parallels of good quarterbacks while they are affordable that way if they go up I can "flip" them by trading them for something of higher value. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Then the season started.

CAM WARD:
I thought to myself, well, here's a guy that is with a quarterback guru in Brian Daboll. He may not be a good head coach, but he can coach a quarterback.


So far the Titans are 0-3, he lost to my Giants yesterday by throwing a terrible interception (I celebrated) and hasn't thrown for more than 200 yards at all this year. Really rough start.

JAYDEN DANIELS:
I thought to myself, Washington has some good weapons around him now for him to throw to. He might get his rookie year self back.
He had an okay start, then he went and disloated his elbow and his out again with that injury.

Oooof.

DRAKE MAYE:
He had a superb sophomore year leading the Patriots to the Super Bowl and was MVP runner up. You then give him a still dominant AJ Brown and it's looking like another great year.
Maye has been nothing but disappointing so far and that AJ Brown connection, well, that hasn't been there since he has been hurt. Maye continues to just turn the ball over and the Patriots right now are far from the team they were last year.

BO NIX:
Bo was looking to play well off from his injury last year that kept him out of the AFC Championship. He still has the brilliant Sean Payton as head coach and an up and coming offensive coordinator in Davis Webb. They also added Jaylen Waddle. Things were looking up.
 
The Broncos did pull out a big win last night and the offense seemed to had come to life in that second half, but, it's been a tough start I think for Nix up to that point. Maybe last night's big win over the Super Bowl favorite Rams will lead to bigger things.

And finally....

JAXSON DART:
This one makes me the most sad. I picked up a ton of his cards for my Giants season, not for any other purpose other than PC, but I was hoping he would be the man especially with a new coaching staff and new weapons.

 
He played amazing in Week 1 protecting himself from concussion, then Week 2 came and he got nailed by the Rams and tore his meniscus for season ending surgery. 

The pain. The heartbreak.

If you don't call this a curse from all of these guys, I don't know what you call it.

I need coffee.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

8 comments:

  1. I say that your Mr Frank n Stein(its pronounced Steen) on my fantasy league when it comes to picking quarterbacks he this guy usually picks 1st or 2nd overall in our drafts always goes for the hot quarterbacks from last year hoping he can run thr same numbers but don't once the new season starts hang in there my friend ya could have chosen the *coughs* the overrated guy Minnesota has initials the same letter lol I like my choices for my quarterbacks this year Stroud & his backup Fields 1 cause they both attended a better college than that Minnesota guy attended & 2 they're not afraid to get hit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fantasy team has Josh Allen. I never go for second year guys...ever.

      Delete
  2. Injuries seem to be a hot topic. JJ Mc to your Giants. Always players moving up and down a roster or moving to another roster. I need coffee is exactly right. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always a risk involved in regards to value... unless we're talking about MJ (most of his cards seem to hold their value or go up over time). At least you targeted QB's that are still affordable... and young. There's still a chance for each of these guys to become future hall of famers. 🤞

    I have personally stopped purchasing cards in hopes of them going up in value. These days... I buy what I want for my PC and hold off on picking up big dollar cards unless it's something I need for a set or something I really, really want for a team/player collection. But honesty... the market is so crazy, I've had to take a step back from even those types of purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had stopped doing that as well. But for only like a few bucks each with the gift cards I had, I was like, why not take a chance and trade up higher later on. Problem is the injuries.

      Delete
  4. My nephew was big into Jaxson Dart cards. I told him to sell before he got hurt, I hope he listened to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for me, he is PC so he stays regardless. I still have like 300 Daniel Jones as well lol

      Delete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!