Thursday, March 24, 2022

The Finest Times

 
*coffee is ready, sunny day is here and we are off running for another new #CardsOverCoffee post!*

*takes out CD player, yes those still exist, and turns on Green Day's Good Riddance Time Of Your Life for today's background music for the post*

*takes another sip, starts to reminisce to simpler times*

The 90's were great. I was young, I was outside with my friends, I was watching Saturday Morning cartoons with my mom while eating a bowl of Rice Krispie Treats cereal, I was jamming to the best decade of music, I was writing tons of nonfiction stories, and I was enjoying the hobby of sport cards like no other time. 

Life was good. I had no complaints.

Compare that to today, where I am older wondering which side of my back I will wake up to aching, mainly inside working, watching nighttime television if I am lucky while trying to limit my eating, almost passing out from gas prices, writing a sports card blog, still in the hobby, dealing with a pandemic, watching everyone's morals fall apart and the world crumble.

That's a shortened up list as well.

The 90's you can say were the finest of times in my life. Which is why I still collect a lot of "stuff" from that era.

Childhood toys, magazines and comics, and sport cards all make up a good portion of what I chase to bring back those finest memories.

So, when my buddy Shane from Cheap Wax Wednesday found some Topps Finest Refractors from the 90's at his recent card show trip, it was a definite want for me.

*takes a sip, sits momentarily to listen to the lyrics of the song. sure was the time of my life*

Shane sent me a variety of years and players with these refractors. I didn't care who they were. I remember a lot of the players and how excited I used to get when I opened a pack of Finest and saw something shiny in the middle of the pack. I would slowly look at the cards in front and behind the shiny card before fulling revealing it.

I couldn't do that with my mail day from Shane as all of the refractors were in a stack.

*takes a breath, slowly scrolls through the uploaded pictures remembering opening up packs of Finest with my father*








 
*smiles after reaching the bottom. takes another sip*

Those cards were such a great memory and trip back in time. For those of you reading today and remember those times, I hope these brought you back as well.

I must also note, see how I left the Finest Protection on, that will always stay on in my house.

Thanks to Shane for picking these up for me.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

Even though today's times are not as much fun, it's still a blessing to wake up every day and make the most of it. I am also glad I was able to "take the photographs and still frames in my mind" from the 90's and remember them. Cards help bring those memories alive a lot of the time.

Thoughts on today's cards, song choice, the 90's and your favorite part of them welcomed in comments.

Have a terrific Thursday.

*song ends, post ends, CD player put away for another time*

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

6 comments:

  1. The 90's definitely had some great music. I like Green Day. I like 90's refractors more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like we almost got a picture of you there in that mugs reflection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was close, but no cigar. I make sure not to catch myself in a reflection.

      Delete
  3. 90s Finest Refractors were some of my favorite cards, and not just because the shiny was unique back thebn. They were tough pulls out of packs that were usually beyond a teen's budget (at least this teen, lol)

    The '90s really were a wonderful time - especially compared to the last few years. I liked Green Day enough as a fun band but "Time Of Your Life" really marked a turning point for them, like it was the moment they matured or something. Maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of Green Day until that song.

      Yes, this teen didn't have the funds either to buy singles but the occasional pack with a lucky find was always exciting regardless of player

      Delete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!