Saturday, December 10, 2022

Coffee Break:2022 Topps Update Baseball

*new post, new cards, new break. let's do this.*

*takes a sip, bite of asiago bagel with jalapeño cheese made ahead of time and gets ready for a new cards over coffee*

Welcome back readers! Who is ready for a new Cards Over Coffee post? I see you tipping the mug towards the computer!

Today, I will be breaking a box of 2022 Topps Update baseball so with no further delay, let's get to this.

*takes another sip, another bite and gets ready for today's post*
 
Every hobby box of 2022 Topps Update comes with 24 packs of 14 cards. There is one autograph or relic per box and boxes currently are $110.

*takes a sip, begins to rip*

Every box also comes with a silver pack box topper.
There are 4 cards in every pack of Topps Chrome Update silver packs.

Nothing too special here. Once again, the 1987 design is getting an appearance. I am really tired of seeing it. Would be more fun if they did a different Topps design every year on these throwbacks. Let's see 1988 Topps next year!!

BASE:

The base card set is 330 cards deep. It has players in updated uniforms (by the way, didn't know Cano was still playing)

The rookies which is the most important part of the product to me.



And plenty of subset fun.

SHORT PRINTS
Here was my box variation.

PARALLELS:
Topps Update has the following parallels,
Gold Foil, Royal Blue, Rainbow Foil, Gold /2022, Green Foil /499, Advanced Stats /300, Orange Foil /299, Red Foil /199, Vintage Stock /99, Independence Day /76, Black /70, Mother’s Day Hot Pink /50, Father’s Day Powder Blue /50, Memorial Day Camo /25, Platinum 1/1, and Printing Plates 1/1
Rainbow Foil

Gold /2022

 
Green Foil /499

INSERTS:
Some inserts have the following parallels,
Blue, Black /299, Gold /75, Red /10, and Platinum 1/1.
MLB All-Star Game, which is usually a subset, but now turned insert. Not that exciting. There are 50 of these to chase as well.

Speaking of 50 card insert sets, there is that darn 1987 Topps again!!

However, I really dig the 25-card set of Topps Black Gold. These take me back and maybe for once a newer card looks better than the original. Let me know if you agree in comments.

Diamond-Greats Die Cut set. There are 25 cards to collect as well. Got my boy Griffey so I was happy!

30 cards makes up Generation Now insert set. Love the shine!

25 cards make up the Paragons Of The Postseason set. I pulled one of my least favorite players.

HITS:
I was getting nervous. It came down to the last pack and it wasn't thick. I can't remember the last time I pulled an autograph in Update or any flagship Topps but here we are. It's not really anyone I know, but it's still an autograph.

Ratings (ratings based on 1-5 🍵 on this break and not overall product)

Design 🍵🍵
Photography 🍵
🍵🍵
Inserts 🍵🍵
🍵
Hits 
🍵
Price 🍵

Value 🍵

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
I got exactly what I wanted from Update, the rookies. That's pretty much my only chase from this product. But, I will say that a few of the inserts really caught my attention, no I am not looking at you 1987 anything.

Let me know your thoughts in comments on this product.

*takes one final sip and final bite of bagel*

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

6 comments:

  1. I have had decent luck in opening boxes of Update this year but mine have been of the retail variety. I am looking at collecting the Guardians and All Star cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not worth the price ... The Black Golds are chromey, which of course the originals weren't, so they do seem fancier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to grab a blaster of this. But probably will just save my money or spend it on a blaster of Archives if I can find one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the looks of the 35th Anniv. '87 Chrome. The regular, not so much. A little late for coffee now. I will be waiting for tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the BLACK/GOLD inserts! At least you got an autograph even though it's a dreaded pitcher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For argument's sake, I'll put in a dissenting vote, I like the original black gold better!

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!