Wednesday, June 28, 2023

A Trip Of A Lifetime Part 2

*coffee is ready, i am sitting down, post is being constructed*

*takes a sip*

I hope everyone remembers where we left off in Part 1 of this series, if not, you can check that out HERE

If you do remember, I was having a pizza supper before heading to a baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the Arizona Diamondbacks. This game had a 7:05 start. However, the problem was our group had already fallen behind schedule that day. Between the longer waits and restaurants and the travel time, it made us late for every event and that included the baseball game.

Which was disappointing, but we still got to go and it was my first time at a Nationals game (well I went to an Expos one way back) and my first baseball game in 8 years and only my fourth game overall.

We took the metro from our hotel to a place near the game. Rest of it was walking to get to the stadium.

We arrived roughly at the Top of the 5th inning. We did however miss a lot of action especially in the first inning where Former Diamondback Stone Garrett hit his first career grand slam for Washington. We did get to hear that on the radio we listened to on our way to the game.

The Nationals led early 4-1, but that didn't last long.

Once inside the stadium we were greeted with this,

We had to find our seats which were way up in the nosebleeds.

But it made for some great action shots.



(for you prospectors, I believe this was Corbin Carroll)

 




Overall, it was a great game and high scoring. The Diamondbacks went on to win 10-5 and we got to witness a few homeruns in our time there including one by Pavin Smith who had a big night.

On my way out, I snapped a few more photos.
  



And stopped by the overpriced store on the way out. 

 
And had to go home with something, so for $25 I brought home a Screech. Yes, I way overpaid but thought it was a memory to have. I didn't however pay the prices for Series 1 which was $35 a blaster and $16 a double pack. No thanks.

Fun experience. Didn't root on either team even though deep inside because Washington was home I wanted them to win. The stadium was beautiful, but the crowd was dead, maybe that's what it's like to root on a last place team.

Or maybe they are always like that there.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

Day One was very tiring and we didn't get back to the hotel until after midnight and had to get up early for Day Two. It didn't help that we got lost after the game to find our way back mainly because we didn't exit where we entered. Let's also say the streets in Washington are very sketchy after dark to.

Thoughts on my pictures, the game, and if you have ever been to a Nationals game welcomed in comments.

More on this trip soon. I may combine the last of my pictures together into one post because there was a lot in Day 2 to recap.

Have a great Wednesday.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

10 comments:

  1. Nice photos and informative comments. I'm guessing better late than never fits very well here. Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I went to the stadium, it wasn't for a baseball game. The NHL Winter Classic was held there back in 2015. Got a fun picture of me with Screech too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Wished we could have gotten a screech photo

      Delete
  3. The whole tardy thing must be something they're (school tour groups) used too... but as a guy who hates being late, that would have drove me nuts. Glad you eventually made it to a game. Did you check to see if Topps made a Topps Now card for that game? I've been pretty unlucky (part of being a A's fan) with most of the games I've attended being pretty uneventful. But if they make a card, I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed but at least I got to go!

      Delete
  4. Top of the 5th? Yikes. ... Maybe the crowd was dead because it was the Nationals against the Diamondbacks? Live baseball is live baseball, but I can't think of a duller matchup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought as well. It was quiet even when the Nationals made a play

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pics! Sorry you got there late.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!