Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Coffee Break:2020 Donruss Optic Baseball Blaster Box

*has already finished his morning coffee as it is now mid-morning, how can this be Cards Over Coffee today when I am already running late on the coffee part. Should I make a cup just for this post? contemplating....*

I feel like I am on a rare tear on here with four posts in a row. Something I haven't ever done on this blog as these posts take a good amount of time to write. But, today, I have some extra time on my hands and I am trying to catch up on a couple of recent breaks I had thanks to a couple of trades with my father. So here we are.

Today's break is a 2020 Donruss Optic baseball blaster box. This a newer Panini product that released not too long ago. So I was a little surprised how quickly I was actually able to get my hands onto some the way things are going in the hobby currently.
 
*still thinking over the coffee idea, but will break into this box some first*


In every blaster box of 2020 Donruss Optic baseball there are 27 cards. Those 27 cards are split up to 6 packs of 4 cards plus a 3 card pack of Pink Parallels and blasters are $20. There are no guarantees in here other than the pink parallels.

The base set and basis of this product is basically chroming everything that the regular Donruss offered. That's the easiest way to put it.

 
The base set is made up of 200 cards. First are the Optic Diamond Kings in the base set


Next are the Rated Rookies. Two things to note, Luis Robert is in here for you prospect chasers (I think some form of Jasson Dominguez as well) and what is up with my run of Brendan McKay cards?! That's the fourth I have found recently in my breaks.

The Rated Rookies are followed by the base cards and ending with All Stars which I didn't get any of in this break to show off.
 
Another thing I didn't get a lot of to show off in this break are the parallels which are aplenty in this product.
 
So if you're looking to build a rainbow, good luck.

They include,
BASE:Holo, Pink Velocity /199, Red/White/Blue /150, Black Stars /125, Orange /100, Spirit of 76 /76, Blue /75, Red /60, Carolina Blue /50, Teal Velocity /35, Black /25, Gold /10, Green /5, Eagle 1/1, and Gold Vinyl 1/1.
FOTL PARALLELS: Pandora /99, Pandora Blue /99, Pandora Purple /99, Pandora Red /99, Cracked Ice Blue /7, Cracked Ice Green /7, and Cracked Ice Red /7.
CHOICE PARALLELS: Red Dragon /88, Green Dragon /84, Liberty /45, and Freedom /45.
RETAIL PARALLELS: Carolina Blue & White, Lime Green, Pink, and Red Wave.
 
If you're keeping track at home, that's 30 parallels including two 1/1's. Though it would look amazing to build one, it will be quite the challenge.

I was just happy to find this Aaron Judge holo silver in my first pack. It's pretty stunning.

Which was my only other parallel besides the three promised pinks which were,

Joe Palumbo. I have no idea who this is


Shane Bieber. Which song does he sing again?


And Jorge Polanco. Those aren't the strongest names in the hobby.

Now that we have taken a look at those, time to move onto inserts!

*before I do that I gotta finish making my coffee, yeah you knew this was coming. I expect you to do the same*
 
Inserts have their own form of parallels but nothing like the base cards...fortunately. Just three to find with Holo, Gold #/10, Gold Vinyl 1/1.


There are 25 of these Retro Donruss 1986 inserts to chase.


Illusions looks really cool, I would imagine the parallels to it helps it stand out more. There are 15 of these to find.


Mike Trout! Alright! These Mythical have 15 cards to chase as well. Solid design here too.


Stained Glass. This card is eye popping. This is actually the holo silver parallel to it. My PC guy Gleyber and all. Solid way to end this break. 

*takes a sip of very hot coffee, then moves onto finishing up this post*

Well my first break of Donruss Optic baseball in some time was okay. The Trout, Judge and especially the Gleyber will be going straight to the PC. I am pretty happy with those. The base and other parts were weak, but overall was a fun break regardless.

However, don't think I felt strongly enough about it to go back for more. I haven't ever been a huge fan of Optic like I am with Prizm. Which coincidentally enough will be our next Coffee Break. Til then, drink your coffee while it's warm and have a good day.

Ratings (ratings based on 1-5 🍵)

Design 🍵🍵
Photography 🍵
Inserts 🍵🍵
Hits Not applicable
Price 🍵🍵
Value 🍵🍵🍵

2 comments:

  1. Most of the inserts look nice, but that Murphy might be the blandest card in the break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Stained Glass inserts have a lot of potential. I'm not actively chasing too many cards, but it'd be cool if Laureano or Tatis has a card in that set.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!