Monday, July 15, 2024

The Great Rookie Card Purge!

*another late night post means no coffee for this blogger for this post*

It was time.

I had a rookie card box that was begging me to go through and purge out the ones that didn't belong in there anymore.

It was a box that I have been meaning to purge for a while, but recently only found time to when I was looking for trade bait. This isn't a box I typically take stuff out to trade as it's my keeper's box, but sometimes I make exceptions depending on what's being offered up.

When pulling players, other than a few defensive NFL guys, most were the guys that all "prospectors" were hot on over the last 10 years or so. You know, the Drew Locks, the Mickey Moniaks, the Coby Whites, the Wander Francos (well different reasons for this guy), the Todd Gurleys, the Corey Seagers (some may argue he could stay, but he isn't), the Desmond Ridders, the Matt Corrals, the Eloy Jimenezs, the Yoan Moncadas, the Rhys Hoskins, and the so-so's of the world all combined in this box with actual stars.

  
At one point, I had this five-row monster box tightly jammed packed. After the purge, I have roughly two and a half rows now and I am sure more guys will need to be pulled in a few months. I am looking at you Julio Rodriguez and Heliot Ramos, prove to me you need to stay in there with the greats.

Here are the ten big stacks of random players that I need to redistribute back into binders (and some players I didn't mention above in my purge). IF for some reason any of them turn it back on, I can always re-add them to the box. Otherwise, they will spend a life sentence in a binder and go up for trade bait when someone asks.

With the box emptier now, this only means I can add new guys to it as the year goes on. Time will tell who I find box worthy as I won't just let anyone in anymore. I will be as picky as Elaine was in Seinfeld looking for "spongeworthy" people.

Outside of the purge, this box really has another project within it. I really need to separate it by player and index it. That way I know who I have in there and where they are when I need to locate them. This is on my list of projects to complete among many other planned card projects. I just really need to focus and complete one task at a time on my checklist.

I hope all of you have a great night of sleep (or a great day depending on when you read this). Make sure that coffee is ready for you in the morning when you wake up or if you are reading this tomorrow, have your coffee ready for this short read. I will be having a cup with you.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun project. Have any 2019 Topps Heritage SP's or Inserts in that group? I'm still building that set. I'm like you in that I have the coffee pot loaded for in the AM. Just need to add water and let it brew. See you for a cup in a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look at what I pulled now

      Delete
  2. A. I love going through my rookies box every now and then to see if anyone panned out.

    B. This is the last blog post I read before heading to bed. I'm pretty tired. Hopefully I'll get at least six full hours of sleep. Otherwise I'll need some coffee in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have high hopes for Mickey Moniak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend not to ever take a card out of my binders once it's in. It does lead to some odd things being in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the opposite and putting them in haha. Odds are, they won't come back out again.

      Delete
  5. I've never understood the appeal of rookie cards myself, but obviously they're a big deal to lot of other people; and have been for as long as I've been collecting.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!