Sunday, July 4, 2021

Coffee With Aries Spears

*takes a sip feeling nostalgic today as the memories are floating back to when I first met my wife and some of the movies and TV shows we used to watch. I am not sure why my mind is floating back then but it may have to do with today's card and coffee mate. See what I did there? takes another sip, it's time for some Cards Over Coffee*

When it comes to comedy sketch shows, I am sure many of your minds jump to SNL. To me, SNL is okay. I preferred one which I called a hidden gem in MADtv

Not only were there some hilarious sketches, but some of the characters they brought to the show made you never forget them. Characters like Ms.Swan, Stuart, Kenny Rogers (well played by Will Sasso), Cabana Chat and some great impressions by today's Coffee With actor, Aries Spears.

*takes a sip before moving on*

Aries Spears has been in both film (he was in Jerry Maguire and Malcolm X to name a couple) and TV, but to me will be best known for his role on MADtv. He has some great impressions including two of my favorites of his in Jay-Z and Eddie Murphy.

Spears appeared in Upper Deck's Goodwin Champions product in 2019 which is known to find autographs/relics of people you don't get everyday.

 

 
I recently snagged this autograph for $4 on eBay with a leftover gift card. As always, my celebrity autographs always represent a part of my past and memories. Spears also has base, parallels and a relic card as well. Maybe something to look at down the road.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

Aries played on MADtv between 1997-2005 and currently does some voices in cartoons, guest appearances on shows and still continues his roots of comedy stand-up.

I think if I was to go back in time, I would have tried some stand up myself. I love comedy and especially making others laugh. The saying goes "laughter is the best medicine" and I believe in that. I did all I could to make people laugh last year as I know we were all going through a tough time. The laughter of others also helps yourself feel better too.

*takes a sip, Coffee Card Blogger Out*

4 comments:

  1. MADtv in it's prime was great, it started to suck pretty bad by the end though. During my very brief college experience, I was in class doing a workshop thing and was seated around a table with 7 or 8 other students, all of which were roughly the same age as me. At one point one of them said something that reminded me of the famous Bob Dole on Party of Five sketch, and I blurted out "But Bob Dole loves you, Julia" just as it was delivered in the sketch. All but one of them were looking at me like I was crazy, the one who wasn't was nearly falling out of his chair laughing, as he was the only one that knew what I was referencing. I thought it was funny that the only one who got it, was originally from the Ukraine, and at that point, had only been in the U.S. for a couple of years. Needless to say, he was the only one that I bothered to interact with during the rest of my time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if you watched the episodes when they brought it back in the 2000s with a whole new cast. That was awful.

      And yes. Earlier MadTV was the best

      Delete
  2. I like both SNL and MadTV. I'd love to see Upper Deck add Bobby Lee to their Goodwin Champions autograph lineup one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pick that one up to!

      "Uh oh, hotdog "

      Delete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!