Saturday, June 4, 2022

A Slam Dunk Of A Trade

*sits down holding the final card of the trade I showed off yesterday. hope you guys have your coffee mugs filled and ready to go. I am*

*takes a sip*

Today marks the final card in the trade I made with @Pradough1.

This card today I decided to post by itself since it didn't fit the non-sport PC theme of yesterdays post.

But, it did knock off a huge want list card.

*takes a sip*

I remember back in the late 90's ripping packs of Topps Chrome looking to pull the top rookies and of course, refractors. One of the most sought after cards I wanted to pull in 1998 was a Vince Carter Topps Chrome rookie.

So, my father and I went and bought some packs of 1998-1999 Topps Chrome basketball to rip on the way home. He opened his packs with no luck, however, my second pack in almost made him drive off the road. Not only did I pull the Carter rookie, but I pulled the refractor version which was a huge card at the time. I think it was worth between $300-$600 if my mind serves me right. I couldn't believe it. I quickly got that in a penny sleeve and toploader when we got home.

The card remained with us until I moved out in 2000 from my parent's house. My dad then decided to sell it since they were in the need of money and it was just a piece of cardboard. It was a tough day to hear that news, but I understood.

I had always remembered that pull, but never tried to chase down a replacement until last year. I wanted to finally bring that card back home until I saw the prices on them. They were selling at least for $600 raw and twice that for graded. That dream ended fast so I went for the next best thing, the base Topps Chrome rookie. Those were even going for $100 which was still out of my range. Then I had to settle for the next best thing after that, a Topps version of the card which I found for under $5. That was more my range and was better than nothing right?

Yes.

But, it still left a hole in my collection however.

That was until this week when I pulled off the trade with @Pradough1.

No, he didn't have the Topps Chrome refractor...but at least had the second best option...
A chrome rookie! I can finally say after all of these years I have one!! Of course, prices have dipped a lot since last year but still having this in my possession is nice.

The photograph on this card is always so memorable to me.

Back Of The Card.

This is one of those cards when you are feeling down you pull out to make yourself smile again.

Thanks again to @Pradough1 for the trade.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

I am never going to ever be able to bring home that Topps Chrome refractor version of this card, but I at least can have the card live on in my memories.

So I am curious, what is the one card you had to let go of that you want to bring back or maybe already have? Let me know in comments.

I hope all of you have a superb Saturday!

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

8 comments:

  1. I've got an unopened box of 1998-99 Topps Chrome Basketball that I kept after I sold off my collection in 2001. Doubt I'll ever open it to see if there's a VC refractor though. For now it just sits in my unopened box collection.

    Can't really think of a card that I had to let go of. I mean, there are plenty of cards that I traded away that I wish I had kept. The one that stands out the most is the 1952 Topps Andy Pafko my aunt bought me back in the 80's. I traded it for 1987 Fleer tin set back when it was super popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could bring anything back it would be the 1981 Gretzky's I used to sell to my classmates. I bought a ton of hockey that year and packs were a quarter. So I'd pull a Gretzky and sell it, then buy more packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding onto all Gretzkys would be awesome!

      Delete
  3. I can't recall what year or brand, but I once I had a yogi berra 1/1 button relic card. I was in need of cash and sold it quickly without really fielding offers. looking back I'm sad I didn't try to get more for it. Also sold a Freddie Freeman rookie auto that I'd like to have back. Happy to hear Vince is back with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have traded for that Berra ! lol

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the Carter RC! Who knows, maybe one day the refractor will be yours.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!