Sunday, April 4, 2021

Easter

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life

*sits down for a cup of coffee and to type today's post. It's Easter, a special day for me. Before reading on, be sure to know ahead of time that this post will not include any cards.*

Easter. It hasn't always looked the way it does to me now. 

Growing up, my parents were far from religious so Easter for me was always about the candy and some creepy bunny who would bring it to me. I had the same grouping of candy every year to look forward to. Some I liked more than others but knowing I come from a poor family it was usually the knock off/cheaper chocolates.

I would always find one of those 12 foam egg carton of chocolate covered marshmallow eggs, a package of Peeps (back when they were just normal flavors), and some knockoff brand Jelly Beans which I only picked the black ones out of. Yup, I am a rare breed who only likes the black Jelly Beans. I actually used to trade baseball cards on recess for them and kids were more than happy to oblige and trade them to me.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

The final candy I would get is still one of my favorite Easter treats in a Cadbury's Creme Egg. I know just as many people who love and hate these. To me, it's the difference between being right and being wrong. Be on the right side :)

The inner creme is kind of disgusting to look at, but is heaven to eat. I would always save this treat for last as it's meant to be savored.

*takes a sip, craves to eat one of those right now with my coffee*

As an adult, Easter has a deeper meaning for me. After I married my wife I came to know Easter time as the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I won't dig into all of the details of the Easter Story on here, but all you really need to know is that Jesus died for our sins on a cross on Good Friday, otherwise known as the Friday before Easter, and was not found in the tomb he was buried in on that Sunday or as we know it as Easter and it was all according to scripture. He was resurrected! Jesus has Risen to save us!

And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him. Luke 24:34

So today, we thank the Lord for all that he has done for us and I think during these trying times we need Him more than ever now. My wife's family usually gathers together for a Easter celebration lunch. However, just like last year, there won't be any get together because of the pandemic but we will be sharing food from afar and thanking Jesus for it and for saving us.

*takes a sip before closing up today's post*

Now just because Easter doesn't have the same meaning to me it did when I was a child doesn't mean I go candy-less.
My wife found me this rather large egg full of those Cadbury Creme Eggs. I believe there was were 16 of them in here. I am currently working on eating the last one right now.

And yes, I still get black jelly beans, this time I just buy the bag straight up that way. If I didn't, I would need to make a trading card tab on here to see if I could acquire some like the old days.

Happy Easter everyone!

*God bless,coffee card blogger out*

"Now don't be afraid, and go tell my brothers, And they will spread word to all of the others. If you have faith and truly believe, I'll live in your heart, And your life I won't leave.”

5 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Matt! Black jelly beans are gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! I went to the Easter Vigil last night, which was really nice, but super long- 3 and a half hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember pulling out all of the black jelly beans and eating them first. Not because I loved them, but because they were my least favorite flavor. I do the same thing these days when someone gives me a bag of Jelly Bellies. As for Cadburry Creme Eggs, they're pretty good... but not my favorite. Although my friend did just hook me up with a bunch of the mini ones. Haven't eaten any yet, but I'm hoping the chocolate to creme ratio is increased compared to the standard ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Eater Matt. I'm more of a Milk chocolate bunny kind of guy, doesn't even need to be solid. As for the beans, give me the fruit flavored, I'll save the licorice for you (I always threw them away).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wifey only eats the red and orange ones so I wind up with the leftover colors. I usually combine a black one with one or two of the other colors so the licorice is drowned out.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!