Tuesday, August 6, 2024

FRIGHTened In August

*takes a sip of coffee, gets ready for a new post on Cards Over Coffee*

If August goes as fast as June and July did, before we know it, the season of scary will soon be upon us.

So, I planned ahead.

*takes a sip*

When it comes to my non-sport collecting, I tend to focus on nostalgia and something that reminds me of the good times.

When I think back to my childhood, besides sports, writing, reading, cartoons, TV shows, my own big imagination, I was really into horror and that all came thanks to my mother.

Every Friday night, we would take a trip to the local video store. We didn't have a Blockbuster; this was a locally owned joint. The first and pretty much only stop in the store was at the horror section.

We would spend time checking out every case on the shelf picking out 7 movies since the deal at that time was 7 movies for 7 days for $7. At least four of the seven movies would be a combination of Friday The 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Halloween and Child's Play. On top of those, would be a selection of other movies we haven't seen (which we had pretty much seen everyone at least once) or ones that we really enjoyed such as Poltergeist. 

When scrolling through TV the other day, I came across one of the movies playing on TV. I gave it a watch for a while (I don't watch a lot of horror anymore) remembering the times I spent with my mom watching them and the snacks we would share doing so. It brought a smile to my face.

Nostalgia at its finest. There is nothing better.

This then led me to wanting some horror movie cards to add to my collection to keep that nostalgic piece alive. That's when I remembered back in 1988 Topps produced Fright Flicks that contained many of the movies we watched together.

Here's a full list of films showcased in 1988 Topps Fright Flicks:
  • Alien
  • Aliens 
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Day of the Dead
  • The Fly (1986)
  • Fright Night
  • Ghostbusters
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street II
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street III
  • Poltergeist
  • Poltergeist II
  • Predator
  • Pumpkinhead
  • Vengeance of the Demon
Ghostbusters feels a little out of place on this list, but hey, I loved me some Ghostbusters so it works.

The product was built up of 11 stickers and 90 base cards. I didn't have any of the cards until I received a very generous RAK donation from @da_real_tolo. He passed along quite a few from the set including the stickers.

It feels like stickers seemed to be a big thing in the 80's and I find these to be super cool.
(he may get my vote given the current choices)

(anyone need a vengeful demon for hire? anyone do you wrong recently? better hope nobody touches my coffee)

The base cards were simple and each had a funny caption.

(I chuckled at this)

(what my mom would look like if one of the tapes we were watching didn't work)

(did you know they used real skeletons in this scene of Poltergeist without telling the actors??)

(the face you get when you spend $200 on kids school pictures)

 
(this is me at midnight)

I got a good amount of the set, but now feel I need to finish it.

Here are the stickers I need,
2,5,6,9,10

Here are the cards I need,
3,4,5,6,10,12,13,14,17,22,23,24,29,30,31,32,34,37,38,41,42,43,44,48,49,50,53,56,58,59,60,62,63,64,68,71,72,76,77,78,84,86,86,and 88.

If anyone has any help, let me know and thank you in advance.

Also, thanks again to @da_real_tolo for his generosity. These cards mean a lot to me.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

I may not watch a lot of horror anymore, but when I do, it's 80's and 90's stuff. Today's horror is too much of the same and it badly computer done. Give me Jason or Michael any day. Those were my favorites. If only they made cards of them......paging Topps, Panini, Leaf...

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

8 comments:

  1. Mike (@da_real_tolo)August 6, 2024 at 10:18 PM

    Happy to help fuel the nostalgia with these cards! I’ve also taken up collecting cards from my favorite TV shows. Great way to have fun reminders of other mediums that brought you entertainment value

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to! I just wished they made more cards for TV shows like they used to

      Delete
  2. here is the best I could find on ebay:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/176335531569?itmmeta=01J4NBMQPH8FKZT6D9VM4QTJPJ&hash=item290e6aae31:g:eaUAAOSwo8lmNxR1&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0K8tyjEaL78qCCiYBs%2B8bjTaa%2Bn7mRNsItp5Qj9Fas8U%2B7wz6c56AWMA--5aTo0l0bP4JMfrpRo99EfW9e4eZKBafOGIhlmXiDSQoiBw%2FQc3Rvf5e0lxFx3C%2FffNpSjp6pcJIk4GfkPNgl5VQAy4MbDn9QKG4V%2FdF04eGmHHGsvITsXCtv13cVbH8EOAmYIrTWkNm%2F5kay1cxyNK3tse4dYMJ4emrHghh4fXSEBtChJEn%2Ff5bQvmeZEUFzOFzXTKv9hfgZRs3ERSfbqtpptCjCQ%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6j70qulZA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't a huge horror fan, but I did enjoy a few of the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Hellraiser was good too. My personal favorites were The Shining and Children of the Corn. Both freaked me out as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children Of The Corn creeped me out as well!

      Delete
  4. Even as a kid I thought that the films in this set were mismatched. I've never had much interest in collecting the whole thing, but do own a few choice cards from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghostbusters still stands out to me as an odd choice

      Delete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!