Wednesday, February 16, 2022

An Illusion

*hot coffee, hot cards coming at you today. time for some #CardsOverCoffee*

The retail shelves are back with cards on them once again. However, most of the time it's baseball and not football or basketball (unless it's that Chronicles stuff that not even the most desperate collector will buy) cards. Being a bigger football card collector, it was nice that my father timed it right this past weekend and picked some up for me.

With the cards in his hands, I drove the hour to pick up the cards from him. I bought one football pack and sacrificed a Matthew Stafford Topps rookie for the basketball blaster box. Don't worry about the value difference, I also got some other cards that he forgot to bring that day. I expect a mail day from him anytime now. If he is reading this, I am still waiting.

With the cards now in hand, I knew what he saw and sent me a picture of wasn't an illusion. Now you will see that it wasn't one either aas we will rip into a pack of Illusions football.

*takes another sip, feels giddy about opening up some football cards*

Each value pack of 2021 Illusions football comes with 20 cards and each pack also has a parallel. Packs are roughly $8 each which is more than the $5 they used to be. Remember when the good ole days before the pandemic?

*takes a sip, begins to rip*

I won't bore you with all of the cards in this pack nor do I feel like taking all of those pictures, but I will show off the key ones.
First card in my pack was a base card and PC piece of Daniel Jones. It was hard to capture the full look on these, but the name plate at the bottom is done in team color.

I hadn't seen the base cards yet but looks like Panini continues to use the same design but changes the layout. It works I suppose.

My best veteran base was of Aaron Rodgers who I am not a big fan of. I wanted to take a jab at him right now, but I heard he doesn't like those.

Devonta Smith who had a solid season for the Eagles. He was one draft spot away from being a NY Giant until the Eagles traded up. That is something I will always remember when I run into his cards.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Mac Jones! His cards have cooled down quite a bit after the playoff loss but it's still a good one to have for future years.

And my parallel in this pack was of Antonio Gibson. I think it's an orange.

Not a bad pack rip at all with the Jones and the Jones. Rest of the cards were not super stars, but the cards above made me happy.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

That was actually a fun break, though a short one. The cards look nice, but the card stock is so thin that it wouldn't take much to injure one.

In comments today, thoughts on today's pack rip or if you have found any football or basketball cards out in the wild.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

4 comments:

  1. I haven't stepped into my local Target in over a month, but I'm guessing there isn't any football or basketball sitting on the shelves. I did go into a CVS to buy a water bottle back in early December and found some packs of Score football. I picked up three, but haven't opened them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Score seemed to be the only other product, besides Chronicles, that was easily found.

      Delete
  2. This..."My best veteran base was Aaron Rodgers. I wanted to take a jab at him, but I heard he doesn't like those." LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would catch that and enjoy it :)

      Delete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!