Tuesday, February 1, 2022

If I Only Had A Brain

*takes a sip, looks up at the calendar next to the kitchen window and can't believe it is February already. takes another sip to say goodbye to freezing long cold January and tips the cup towards a snowy February*

Being a non-sport card collector is fun. It takes you out of the card world of just autographs and plain player worn swatches to a card world of the impossible. I have found some really cool cards over the years that were props from TV shows and movies.

I have seen them use items such as glass pieces, pieces of puzzles, hair, coats, cars, tires, capes, and today's....straw?

*takes a sip*

I would believe most of us can say we have seen the movie The Wizard Of Oz. If not, I would be quite surprised.

The 1939 movie was a musical fantasy film where a girl named Dorothy from Kansas gets taken in her house by a tornado to a magical land called Oz. Once in Oz, she spends time on a Yellow Brick Road which will lead her to The Wizard who she was told could get her home. Along her journey on the Yellow Brick Road, she meets friends along the way. Every one of the friends she meets tags along with her, a Lion, A Scarecrow and a Tin Woodman also want to see The Wizard for a specific need of their own. This while all four are trying to avoid the Wicked Witch Of The West who is trying to stop them on their journey.

This movie gets played at least once a year around Christmas time. Not sure why as it's not a Christmas movie by any means. I scratch my head at that and why Harry Potter is also played at Christmas time.

*takes another sip before moving onto today's card*

When I was looking up Breygent non sport cards, mainly at the Ghost Whisperer ones, I stumbled upon a card set they made in 2006 for The Wizard Of Oz.

The product was very limited to 5000 total boxes made and featured a 72-card base card set, 4 insert sets, sketch cards, autographs, cut signatures and some unique prop cards.

All of the hits in the product were extremely rare to find, some more than others. I liked what I saw from the product and jotted down a few of the prop cards I wanted to add to my non sport PC.

One of those prop cards was spotted by Wes, from JBF/Area 40 blog, and he gifted me one for Christmas. 
The card features a full colored card with an authentic piece of straw from the Scarecrow.

I thought the back of the card was cool as it featured a handwritten letter from the actor who guaranteed the pieces authentic. First I have seen of this form of authenticity.

 \
Here is a closer look at the swatch. It's very small, but what a unique piece of Hollywood history to own.

Here is a look at the overall prop cards to find,
  • Hair from costume of Cowardly Lion
  • Straw from the costume of Scarecrow 
  • Yellow Brick Road 1
  • Yellow Brick Road 2
I hope to add the Cowardly Lion and Yellow Brick Road by the end of the year. The Scarecrow and Lion swatches are the hardest to land in the set.

Thanks to Wes for this amazing gift.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

I cannot count the number of times I have watched The Wizard Of Oz when I was younger on TV or even at school. I can say that I haven't seen it in a while however and maybe should be one of those movies I put on for a rainy day. I am not one for musicals, but this movie is a little deeper than that. At least that will be my excuse for liking it.

In comments, thoughts on today's card and The Wizard Of Oz is welcomed in comments.

Have a great Tuesday!

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

12 comments:

  1. The Wizard Of oz is my mom's favorite movie. I may have to track down a card for her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are plenty to choose from in the set! Even just a base card

      Delete
  2. Holy Cow, that's amazing piece. Don't see cards like this that often especially with the handwritten letter on the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, that was probably my favorite part about the card

      Delete
  3. What a cool piece of history you have acquired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is indeed pretty awesome.

    I've seen the movie many times, but my wife never has. Really have to watch it with her someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have got to show her and I am shocked that she has never seen it!

      Delete
  5. Ray Bolger was a great talent. I wish he would've made more films.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love The Wizard of Oz. Heck... I even enjoyed Return to Oz.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!