Monday, February 7, 2022

Celebrity Captains

*sits down on this chilly 5 degree morning with a steaming hot cup of coffee. breakfast has already been eaten so it's time for some cards and coffee*

Posting on this blog is a little different than any other blog I have posted on. I can't post just anything that I normally would. This blog has specifics which makes it a little tough when I get mail days and the thank yous make it to Twitter instead of here.

I can't explain my reasoning on this, it's just the way it is and it has worked on here. It just forces me to have difficulty in posting stuff I sometimes want to.

I am a few mail days behind posting on here and some on Twitter as well. I also have a stack of ideas I want to post, but they don't fit the theme of this blog. I will have to sort that all out at some point so don't take offense if your mail day to me doesn't make the blog. It doesn't mean I didn't appreciate the mail day or that it meant any less, it just means I am a college with twenty superstar applications that I have to narrow down to only seven openings.

For today, I am posting one of those seven that made it in. This mail day has been sitting in drafts for awhile despite showing off the new picture taking background that will overtake the blog soon.

*takes a sip before showing off the cards*

In one of my last trades with blog reader Oren, he discovered a subset that I wanted the set and never knew I wanted.

I don't collect a lot of hockey cards, but those that I do have got to have nostalgia tied in. The 1991-1992 Pro Set Platinum set included some non hockey players in its large base set. 1991-92 was the NHL’s 75th Anniversary, and every team appointed a Celebrity Captain for that season. Pro Set Platinum made cards for 12 of those captains and some you can consider "rookie cards" of.

Some of the chosen captains, I have no idea who they are but others bring me back to a happy place.

Let's take a look. First, some I don't know so well.
 
Susan Saint James and Rick Hansen

Gaetan Boucher and Terry O'Reilly

Rick Hansen and Burton Cummings

And now onto the ones, I do.
Mr. Rogers. Who didn't watch his PBS program??? I have so many memories of it though I was creeped out by a couple of the puppets. One of those is Lady Elaine Farichilde....now I am spooked and almost spilled my coffee.

Karate Kid!

According to Jim...he had a TV show.

Jim Kelly...he showed the Sabres how to win...except the big game.

Larry King...a voice you heard somewhere in your lifetime.

Marv Albert, the sports voice of my childhood with the NBA and especially my NY Knicks.

Here is the overall look at the checklist for this subset with names and the numbers they represent in the set,
  • 289 Terry O'Reilly
  • 290 Burton Cummings
  • 291 Marv Albert
  • 292 Larry King
  • 293 Jim Kelly
  • 294 David Wheaton
  • 295 Ralph Macchio
  • 296 Rick Hansen
  • 297 Fred Rogers
  • 298 Gaetan Boucher
  • 299 Susan Saint James
  • 300 James Belushi
Thanks again to Oren for the walk down memory lane and another great trade.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

I hope to catch up on the other mail days soon both here and on Twitter. I need to also update my wants list since some of these cards were on my old list I pulled down a couple months ago and I have also gotten a few others as well to take down.

Thoughts on my latest mail day is welcomed in comments. Thoughts on the celebrities and if Upper Deck was to do one of these sets today in their product who you would want to see.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

20 comments:

  1. I've never seen that set before. Wish you would've named the celebrities that you didn't know, I was trying to see if I knew them, but when I clicked on the photo it didn't get bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem. I can identify a few, but I'm also looking them up:

      Susan Saint James, Whalers: TV actress best remembered for Kate & Allie. Pretty cool.

      David Wheaton, North Stars: Wow, I don't remember him. Apparently he was a tennis player who had made a splash by upsetting Andre Agassi at Wimbledon that year. Meh.

      Gaeton Boucher, Nordiques: Don't know him either. Olympic speed skater. OK, not surprising I don't know him.

      Terry O'Reilly, Bruins: O'Reilly was a longtime player for the Bruins, so why would he be the celebrity captain? The Canadiens did the same thing, naming Rocket Richard. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? And it's not as though Boston is hard-up for celebrities.

      Burton Cummings, Jets: Now we're talking! Cummings was the lead singer of the Guess Who, arguably the biggest hitmaking band ever to come from Canada. That's his voice on classics such as "American Woman", "No Time", and "Share The Land". Also had a big solo hit with "Stand Tall". I saw him live a couple times, and, man, he could sing.

      Rick Hansen, Canucks: Um, is that one of the fictional hockey players from Slap Shot? OK, no, he was a Paralympic athlete, so even though I don't know anything about him, I can't argue with that choice. Wow, he wheelchaired around the world over a period of 26 months, in what was called the "Man In Motion Tour", which inspired the theme from St. Elmo's Fire. Amazing.

      Guys who should have gotten a card, but didn't: John Candy, Dave Coulier, John Goodman, Yogi Berra, Willie McCovey, Gordon Lightfoot, and Bobby Rydell. I'm assuming most of these were left out for licensing reasons, and not because some idiot thought it wouldn't be cool to have a hockey card of Yogi or Stretch. I wouldn't mind having that Burton Cummings card, but the baseball players would have been great.

      Delete
    2. I just updated this post with this information as well.

      Delete
    3. I just updated this post with this information as well.

      Delete
  2. How have I grown up outside of Buffalo and never seen that Jim Kelly card before? (OK to be fair, I do focus on baseball more than hockey or football, but still...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same as NO...when I click on the picture I don't get a bigger photo, I'm brought back to Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so strange. I will have to check that out, I did however update this post with the needed info

      Delete
  4. Ahh..Pro Set Platinum. There's a reason I collected that set and you just pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff! I've seen the Fred Rogers and Ralph Macchio cards before, but none of the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the Mr. Rogers card off of Sportlots a few years ago, it's the only one that I wanted from the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good thing you grabbed it now before it gets discovered by flippers!

      Delete
  7. The next time I put in a Sportlots order, Mr. Rogers will be included. Very cool subset.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for updating! I knew Susan St. James, Terry O'Reilly and Burton Cummings, all very notable folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't for me, but I did some research afterwards

      Delete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!