Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Jammin' To The NBA Again

It's the afternoon I know, but it's never too late to have a cup of coffee.

I have been so busy as of recent that I have spread out my three to four cups a day throughout my day to fit them in so I can survive.

Life only gets busier after May, so I better cram in what time for posts I have now and what cups of coffee I can fit in as well.

*takes a sip*

*takes another sip*


It has been years (since late 90's very early 2000's) since I have been into watching the NBA, but the last couple of years I have been watching a few more games and this year I found myself watching my beloved Knicks anytime they were on TV.

Including last night when they took down the Indiana Pacers 121-117 in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals.

The Knicks playoff run this year has been a fun watch so far. Every game has come down to the final minutes which makes for the best games...and a few heart stopping moments.

It's probably a good thing I am not holding a coffee mug at those times, or I may have a few stained shirts. Not that I don't already find a way to stain every white shirt I own, just ask my wife. I can have nothing in my hand, and it will still be stained.

*takes a steady holding sip*

My latest mail day from blog reader Oren included a lot of basketball cards, but nothing from the new era of collecting. Which is fine with me, even though I have enjoyed watching the Knicks recently, 90's cards will always prevail.



To kick off this mail day were a couple of 1994-95 Fleer Sharp Shooters that were randomly inserted into packs. I don't remember a lot about the Spreewell Warriors years other than the choking incident, but he played well for the Knicks helping them go all the way to the NBA Finals losing to the Spurs.

1998-99 Topps Coast To Coast of Michael Finley. I felt that he never got enough respect for his play.
These inserts fell 1:36 packs.

Beautiful die-cut inserts with a space appeal, Stardate 2001 fell 1:12 packs from eX2001.

At 1:24 packs, Whiz Kids is actually an insert I haven't seen before. But, I love it!

1995-96 fleer came out with these unique foil etched Franchise Futures that fell 1:37 packs.

I was a big fan of Stephon back in the 90's, he was a pretty solid player for many years. A buddy of mine at the time was actually a collector of him at the time so we did a big trade off. I traded him some Stephs and he traded me a 2000 Ultra Brady rookie. We both were pleased with the trade. I am not sure if he has his collection anymore, but I still have that Brady.

Side note, Steph became a Knick later in his career. Seems like a lot of players did that.

These inserts were easy pulls at 1:4 packs.
Any insert that is pleasing on the eyes regardless of player, is an easy addition to my collection. New School fell 1:36 packs of 1997-98 Topps.

1997-98 Ultra All-Rookies fell 1:4 packs. This was one of the better designed All-Rookies during the run.

 
The next card dives into newer basketball but has that 90's Metal feel.

And that does it for the basketball portion of the trade.

He also sent along a cool

90's relic card (not game used) of Curtis Martin. I believe these fell 1:97 packs.

And the final card of our trade is Oren's attempt to still get me into hockey cards and maybe even watching hockey again. I am a long-distance NY Rangers fan but I haven't watched a game since the 90's but still cheer them on to win. However, when he keeps sending cards that are fire like this, he may get me soon. This card is even more astonishing in person.

Thanks again to Oren for our latest trade.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

I will be again in front of the TV tomorrow night to watch the Knicks/Pacers Game 2. Hopefully the Knicks can play like they did towards the end of the first game. Going up 2-0 would be huge like they did against the 76ers.

Let me know if you have gotten into watching any sports that you haven't in a while or any comments on the cards from today's post.

Hope you have a great rest of your day and remember, coffee is good for anytime in the day.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

Before I close, I also wanted to remind you of the Coffee Card Hall Of Fame voting and that it needs you guys to nominate cards in. 

Details on the Coffee Card Hall Of Fame can be found HERE. I may add this to every post from here on out for a reminder as I will forget about this too! Haha!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice cards with a huge variety. Coffee is always good! I don't think a day goes by that I don't have some sporting event on to watch. The Twins have been winning, but I don't get to watch them due to contract and blackout issues. The Timberwolves have been exciting during the playoffs so far. The Lynx are just getting started. I've been able to watch some great dirt track racing on the weekends. If the weather would cooperate, I would be getting behind the mic and star announcing some of them. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now is the time to get back into watching the Rangers. They had a thrilling game 2, double overtime win over Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to last night, I just couldn't do it still

      Delete
  3. A. An Ultra Brady rookie for some Stephs. Ouch. Now if they were Curry cards instead of Marbury that might be a little more even (depending on the Stephs).

    B. I watched the Kentucky Derby. Only watched it because I was hanging out with my brothers. Gotta admit the photo finish was pretty exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Stephs were not anything to high end or too rare so I was fine losing them. Basic inserts I replaced later on in other trades.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that I could sit through a current game from any sport, even if I were being paid to. Everything is just so blah now.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!