Thursday, May 23, 2024

Throwpack Thursday:1991 Laffs

Who is ready for a new post on Cards Over Coffee? I am! So let's do some cards and coffee!

*takes a sip*

It’s a Friday night in 1991, you have a bowl of popcorn, maybe some Bugles, a Pepsi, Ghostbusters PJ’s on and your favorite comfy spot on the couch getting ready for a TV Block you have waited all week to watch.

That 2-hour TV sitcom block was TGIF and ran on the ABC Network from 1989 to 2000 on the first original run. Which to me was the best run with some amazing shows.

Even though TGIF became a hit early the network still looked for help in promoting. So to help promote TGIF television block in 1990-91 season, Impel marketing, in partnership with ABC, created a trading card set featuring three of the shows from the block in Perfect Strangers, Family Matters, and Full House.

The trading card set was 80 cards featuring character cards and scenes from the shows.

And I happen to have an unopened pack to show off what you may find in one.

*takes a sip, begins to rip*

Each pack comes with 6 cards. There were no chase cards other than hoping to pull a character card. To me, those are the rookie card chases. Who didn’t want a Danny Tanner or Steve Urkel rookie???

Before showing off what I found, I wanted to show off the back of the wrapper because I wanted to point out it wasn’t as easy in those days to find a checklist. You either had to pull one in your pack or send in for one. It wasn’t just a Google search away.

The first card from the pack features Rachel from Family Matters with the caption “Rachel’s Place”.

The card back explains the scene and caption. All of the cards that are not character cards work this way.

 
The second card was an episode I remember well of full house. This is when Stephanie was playing around in Joey’s car and mistakenly shifts the car into reverse thinking that the R stood for radio.

 
Card #3. The first Perfect Strangers card from the pack. Now we have one from each show.

Card #4. Family Matters started out well with ratings then exploded when they introduced Steve Urkel who became a 90’s fan favorite even today.

Card #5. This is how I wake up when I hear the coffee maker turn on.

The final card. Great way to end. This episode of Perfect Strangers was a fun one as they re-enacted an episode of The Honeymooners.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*  

I was a tad disappointed to not have pulled any character cards to show off, but I was actually able to add a couple of new ones from this pack for my set chase to replace cards that got damaged.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

8 comments:

  1. Yes, 1,4,30,31,32,33 and 53.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun set of cards. I watched Full House some. I have none of those cards for your needs. The sun is out, and the coffee is good! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hilarious that the first two cards both involved young kids accidentally destroying buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of Perfect Strangers and had to look it up. Went for 8 seasons, so I'll have some watching to do if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've seen all of these shows, I wasn't a diehard fan of any of them. High school and college definitely played a role in that. I do like this set though. Who wouldn't want a rookie card of Balki or Urkel?

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!