Thursday, May 30, 2024

Throwpack Thursday:2005 Topps Kong

Coffee is ready and so am I for another Throwpack Thursday. Without further ado, coffee is ready and so am I!

*takes a sip*

In 2005, the movie King Kong was released and marked the second remake of the 1933 original and the eighth entry in the King Kong franchise.

The movie starred Adrien Brody, Naomi Watts and Jack Black and was one of the highest grossing movies of that year and also won multiple awards

To celebrate the films success , Topps released a King Kong product that you could find in retail and hobby form.

The Hobby release gave you had a chance of landing autographs and relic cards, while retail didn’t include those but did include the insert offerings.

Today, instead of monkeying around, I am going to open a pack of 2005 Topps King Kong retail to show off what you possibly might find in one of those packs.

*takes a sip, begins to rip*

In every retail pack of 2005 Topps Kong, you can expect to find seven cards. One of those seven cards could be from a variety of inserts such as Stickers, Embossed Foil, Flocked Cards or Video Game Creature Cards.

 
Card #1 The pack starts off with a character card with lead Jack Driscoll who is played by Adrien Brody

The Card backs for the characters gives information on the character and also mentions who they are played by.

Overall, there are 80 base cards in the set with 11 of those being these Character cards.

Card #2

 
Card #3

Card #4 INSERT!! This is a Video Game Creature Card. These cards fall 1:4 packs. At first glance, I didn’t know I had an insert. But, after looking at the first few cards again, I could tell.

The back of the Video Game Creature Card features a code and after you collect all five cards in the set with the codes you get $10 off from the Video Game. Which is obviously no longer valid now.
 
Card #5

Card #6 features Jack Black. You can tell he is much younger here and it's odd to see him without his beard.

 
The pack began and ended with a character card. This time it’s Hayes who is played by Evan Parke.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

*looks out the window for a giant ape, sees nothing, takes another sip*

Not a bad pack I opened as pulling an insert with a single random pack doesn’t always happen especially with my luck. It’s too bad they couldn’t have included chances at autographs and relic cards in the retail offering. Though I will say the autograph checklist is weak lacking the big celebrities in the movie but there are a few heavy swingers in terms of the relic cards.

Some of which I really want to track down.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday.

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

6 comments:

  1. Not my cup of (coffee) tea. Many fans in my household of this type of movie. They like the older ones including black & white films. Have a great Thursday! Refill anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally into the black and white films myself

      Delete
  2. A somewhat disappointing movie the 1st hour is so boring - when I rewatch it I start from the time they hit the island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is surprising looking at some of the actors involved

      Delete
  3. I saw the movie... but it wasn't memorable. Big fan of Jack Black. Might have to track down some of his cards from this set.

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!