Friday, November 10, 2023

90's On The 9th:1995-95 Fleer Metal Maximum Metal Hakeem Olajuwon

*sits down, coffee is ready and card is in hand, time for a new post on Cards Over Coffee*

Yes, I know, I know. If you looked at the calendar today and wondered if you took the DeLorean back in time, you did not. I am a day late and many dollars short on today's post.

*takes a sip*

Today's card for 90's On The 9th, or technically 90's on the 10th, I acquired this summer and never took a picture of it or shared it even on Twitter. So, it's fresh to your eyes if you are reading this today. 

The choice for today is a basketball one and is from 1995-96. It comes from one of my favorite 90's products in Fleer Metal. Not that Upper Deck hasn't done a great job reviving the brand, but there is nothing like an original.

Maximum Metal was a 10-card insert set that fell 1:36 packs. Which is roughly one-per-more than one box.
It features a cool die-cut cut design of a silver basketball going through a silver rim with a colorful player in the forefront. Hakeem Olajuwon is my only copy of this insert in the set even though I have had my eyes on a Patrick Ewing for months and dream of the Michael Jordan one.

 
Card back has a write up on the player featured with a new picture of the player as well.

This was probably one of my cooler pickups for my 90's insert PC this year.

*takes a sip before finishing up today's post*

I know this segment doesn't get a lot of views and that I am a day late, but I enjoy going back and taking a look at these cards from my favorite era of collecting. I am also hoping some of you will post your own #90sOnThe9th on Social Media and your blogs. Let's make this a thing. Use the hashtag too!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

*Coffee Card Blogger Out*

3 comments:

  1. I have quite a few cards from this era, but I don't think I have any from this insert set. Nice looking card! Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this product back when it came out and opened up a ton. This particular insert was a personal favorite. At one point, I owned several... including O'neal, Robinson, Barkley, and Malone. Never pulled the Jordan though. I'd love to add that one to my Jordan PC one day :D

    ReplyDelete

Cards and coffee go together like PB&J, so don't you and leaving a comment below. Take a sip and let me know your thoughts!